May 2014: Birchbox vs. Ipsy

11:41 PM

Month of May: Birchbox vs. Ipsy

 

I have waited to play around with my Birchbox and Ipsy products until I was able sit down and write this review/comparison. I didn't want to lose track of the products so for this post I am giving first impressions and descriptions of each one. I will add more thoughts after I finish the samples so I can form a complete opinion.



Birchbox "Freewheeling": For some reason my Birchbox came a lot later than my Ipsy bag. Usually both subscriptions arrive within a couple days of each other, but this time it came about a week after my Ipsy. 
  • Pixi Shea Butter Lip Balm in Pixi Pink: This is the product I was most excited about receiving. I am a lip product junkie and this came in a fun bright pink that will be perfect for spring and summer. It is very moisturizing and adds a pretty wash of color to the lips. This is definitely a product I would purchase. 


  • CoTZ: An oil-free SPF 40 mineral sunscreen that blends in sheer for a matte finish. It is described as being a natural skin tone tinted sunscreen but it basically looks clear when blended out. It has a very nice finish and feels like a silky face primer. This product will come in handy when I'm out in the sun during Memorial Day weekend.


  • Beauty Protector: I got both the Protect & Shampoo and Protect & Condition. They have a very sweet vanilla/candy type scent. It smells very good but it isn't the type of scent that I typically like. The shampoo is sulfate and paraben free and claims to add shine and volume. The conditioner is paraben free and contains nourishing shea butter.


  • SmartyPants (Lifestyle Extra): These are an all-in-one gummy multivitamin for adults includes omega-3 and vitamin D. Most of the time gummy vitamins still taste nasty to me but these were actually very good. It tasted just like a piece of candy and they were the perfect size. Two of them came in the sample pack but it takes 6 gummies for a full daily dose.


Ipsy "Fresh Picks": This month's bag features a leafy design on a tan canvas material which seems to be a better quality than some of the past makeup bags.
  • Hang Ten Classic Sport Sunscreen SPF 50: This non-greasy, lightweight sunscreen is water resistent for up to 80 minutes. I hate when sunscreens are thick and take forever to rub in, but this one feels great on the skin and has a very light natural scent. I never really get concerned about getting sunburned but it is always important to protect skin against sun damage because skin cancer and other related issues do not discriminate against skin color! This product will be perfect to throw in my bag for an unexpected day out in the sun to ensure that I will always have the coverage I need. 
 
  • Eva NYC Therapy Session Hair Mask: This product is contains keravis protein and argan oil and claims to deeply condition, repair and strengthen all hair types. This mask has a lovely argan oil scent that reminds me of Moroccan Oil products. It came in a generous sample size of 2.03 fl. oz. that I may be able to get at least 3 uses out of for my long hair. I can't wait to try this out next time I deep condition my hair.
 
  • Mee Beauty Bee Nourished Night Cream: Infused with pure honey and 100% natural, this night cream makes skin incredibly soft without feeling greasy. I hate when night creams have a very strong scent and I feel like I am trying to fall asleep in a cloud of perfume. I don't have to worry about that with this product it has a very natural scent if any at all.


  • Lulu Blossom Dreamsicle Body Balm: This product is a deep moisturizing balm that can be used anywhere on the body. It is great for cuticles, cracked hands, feet, and elbows. And the SCENT! It smells just like an orange creamsicle. I can't stop smelling my hands when I put it on. The only downside to this balm is that it is too thick/solid to effectively apply to skin unless you want to scrape it out with your fingernail. 



  • Pacifica Eyeshadow Duo #1: The colors featured in this duo are a pretty pairing of a pale pink champagne color and a light brownish gold color. They both have a pearl finish and decent pigmentation. The pale pink seems a tad chalky and may work better as a cheekbone highlighter than an eyeshadow.  



It's hard to pick a winner between the two because I REALLY  like the Pixi lip balm from Birchbox and I mostly like the body balm and eyeshadow duo from Ipsy. I was disappointed that I didn't get the Revlon matte balm or Too Faced Chocolate Soleil bronzer in my Ipsy bag. Overall, I wasn't very impressed with either of my subscriptions this month. I feel like they could have had a little more fun with the sample selections during this time of year.


 

You Might Also Like

0 comments