Maybelline Color Elixir by Color Sensational: Swatches and Review

12:44 AM


I couldn't resist picking up a few Maybelline Color Elixirs while they were on sale at Rite Aid for 40% off. The regular price for this is $8.99 but with the 40% off, it only cost me $5.39 each. I wanted to try these for a while after seeing some rave reviews on Instagram and Youtube, especially for the colors Nude Illusion and Vision in Violet. 

Here is the description directly from Maybelline
Fall under the spell of the elixir effect. Hyper-saturated color, ultra cushiony feel. The new hypnotic lip sensation. Why You'll Love It:
  • A trio of concentrates delivers the color of a lipstick, the cushiony care of a balm, and the glass shine of a gloss
  • Our exclusive smoothing angora brush delivers a polished , even application and smoothing sensation to lip

I was honestly a little disappointed after swatching them on my hand and wearing some for a few days but I think it's because I was expecting more of a liquid lipstick or a stain gloss. This product is very sticky but has good pigmentation (for a gloss). The stickiness helps it to last a while but when it wears off it leaves my lips feeling really dry. The main thing I don't like about these is the scent and taste. The scent is very sweet and perfumey and reminds me of Fruity Pebbles. The strong scent seems to cause a bad perfume/chemical taste but it's not bad enough to keep me from wearing it. This "lipstick-balm-gloss" trio would be a good product for you if you like glosses and don't mind the scent.


Nude Illusion 060: peachy nude with no shimmer and light pigmentation

Breathtaking Apricot 005: pinky coral with shimmer and good pigmentation. This shade left the most stain on my hand from swatching
Caramel Infused 065: pinky/mauve nude with light shimmer and good pigmentation

Vision in Violet 040: bright deep violet with no shimmer; Very pigmented




Raspberry Rhapsody 030: blue toned fuchsia with shimmer

Mauve Mystique 025: mauve with no shimmer; darker than Caramel Infused

Caviar Couture 050: deep wine/burgundy with shimme. The shimmer in this shade is the most noticeable.

Amethyst Potion 045: purple mauve with blue shimmer

(Indoor lighting) Row 1: Nude Illusion, Breathtaking Apricot, Caramel Infused, Vision in Violet. Row 2: Raspberry Rhapsody, Mauve Mystique, Caviar Couture, Amethyst Potion.
(Taken with flash) Row 1: Nude Illusion, Breathtaking Apricot, Caramel Infused, Vision in Violet. Row 2: Raspberry Rhapsody, Mauve Mystique, Caviar Couture, Amethyst Potion.

Am I the only one that's not crazy about these? I have been hoarding so many lipsticks and lip crayons so I was trying to build up my lipgloss collection with these but maybe I just don't like lip glosses. Let me know your thoughts on this product if you've tried it! Also leave me some recommendations for lip glosses that are long wearing but not sticky. Thanks for reading! XOXO

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the color pigments, but not a fan of stickiness! As for recommendations, I love MAC lipgloss, although it's more on the expensive side!

    Sami,
    www.theclassicbrunette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sami! I always try to like glosses but I don't think I ever will because of the stickiness or goopy-ness of it. I'll have to try some Mac ones though!

      Delete
  3. I've heard lots of people rave about these too and I was excited to try a few myself! Thanks for your reivew, now I know what the formula is really like and I'm not sure i would be a fan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review! I find it hard to get excited about glosses because the pigmentation is usually too light and/or not long lasting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the colors look really nice but I'm also not a huge fan of glosses. I rarely wear the ones I have

    ReplyDelete